Sunday, June 27, 2010

I should just turn over the keys now

The babysitter was due to arrive in ten minutes.  I thought I should awaken the kids from their naps, so as to dispel the notion that I was trying to sneak out of the house while they napped - NOT a notion conducive to naps on subsequent days, FYI.

I walked into Elizabeth's room and she looked at me like "a deer in the headlights" from where she was playing at the end of her bed.
"Elizabeth Ann, did you nap at all or did you just play the whole time?!"
[cute smile]
"Tell me the truth."
"Jus' play.  Sooooo-ry."  [pause]  "Mommy?  You look pretty."
[small chuckle as I tried to maintain my stern, disapproval]  "Thank you.  You may get up now."
"Yay!"
"But, you need to sleep during nap next time.  Do you understand me?"
"Yes, ma'am."

I turned to walk away and was halfway to the kitchen when her voice called out from the doorway:
"Mommy?"
"Yes?"
"I loooove you..."
"I love you, too." [and, now I'm laughing]

I told Shawn this story and he said, "Oh, man.  You are toast!"
"Me? What about you?!"
"Oh, I've always been toast.  You were the only chance that girl had at someone being able to effectively parent her."

Well, it was a good four year run of thinking I was in control.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails