Friday, November 12, 2010

How Many of Me Does It Take to Change a Lightbulb?

I don't know the answer to that. But, I do know that the one "me" doesn't seem to have the mental horsepower to get it done.

The lightbulb in my nightstand lamp burned out last night as we were going to bed. Shawn got a new bulb and changed it. He turned it on... and... nothing. He checked to make sure the new bulb wasn't burned out. He tried again. Nothing. I told him to forget about it, it was clearly God's way of telling me to just go to bed.

Shawn got back in bed... and... of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. I unscrewed the bulb again to see if something had gone awry in the socket. (Come on... you can already see where this is going, can't you?) And, there was "something" in there just rattling around. Well, clearly a lamp can't be expected to function with a "chunk" of something interrupting the process. So... wait for it... I reached in to get it. Ummm. You can't do that so much. There was a SPARK. (I wish I could make those letters more spark-y to emphasis my point.) And, my fingers looked like this:
Oddly, it didn't hurt at all.

Shawn looked at me in disbelief and said, "Babe! You can't do that!" [Well, no kidding.] "When you touch the side and bottom of the socket at the same time, you complete the circuit! You can't just reach in there without unplugging it first!"* [I did not know that. I did not know that at all.]

But, to my credit (Let me have something! I almost died for heaven's sake), although the small chunk seemed to be something that broke off the lamp, the lamp works now! Maybe it just needed to be defibrillated.  And, I did come to my senses and listened to God about JUST GOING TO BED after He used shock treatment to get my attention. I can be a little slow. He knows that... clearly.

So, now, you answer my question. How many of me should I be required to have before I attempt to change my next lightbulb?



*I used exclamation points with all of Shawn's statements because he was being very... emphatic. Like there was a chance I might try it again.


LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails