Wednesday, July 28, 2010

OMG dinner

I'm writing this post while I'm all hopped up on coffee and crashing - so we'll see how it goes.  I drank about 72 oz. of Diet Coke last night from 7:00 to 10:00, so, needless to say, I didn't get to bed at a reasonable hour.  Honest to goodness, sometimes I think I shouldn't be allowed out without proper supervision.

But, I drank all of that caffeine last night while I was out with my Old Mommy Group. (Or as we named ourselves last night, OMG - get it?)  Our first children were all boys and were all born within about six months of each other.  We met every single Tuesday for three years. Now, I think about that time commitment with a little bit of disbelief.  But, there was a time when we were each other's lifelines.  We stumbled through first time parenting together.  We kept each other from getting lost in the abyss of sleeplessness, sadness and worry that is the unspoken byproduct of the joy of parenthood.

Most of us had second pregnancies together.  Some of us had miscarriages. We all eventually had more children.  And, life took off like life takes off when you have kids and kids' activities.  And, the idea of being able to devote an entire day, once a week, to a playgroup was nothing but a distant memory for most of us.

It's been more than a year since we've seen each other.  More than a year since we've seen the people that kept us afloat those first few years of motherhood; those friends that charted uncharted territory with us.

But, we finally did get together last night (well, some of us did - that little thing we call "life" keeps playing havoc with our scheduling) and it's like we've never been apart.  Although, now the conversations are about learning to read, teachers and sports instead of breastfeeding, sleeping and diaper rash.


You might say we had a good time together.


A few things about this picture:
  • Shawn used to call me "Wrigley" because of my "gum" when I smile big.  Rude!  I know!  I made him stop, it really did kinda hurt my feelings.  But, looking at this picture, I gotta say... he's not all wrong.
  • I think Julie looks delightfully surprised to have me invading her personal space.  She claims she is surprised, but not delightfully so. She's lying.  That is clearly delight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails