Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Will There Be A Pool?

We took the kids to San Antonio for their Fall Break. We travelled six hours to get there. And, amazingly, there was only one brief period toward the end of our trip there (at 10:00pm after a full day of school) that involved wailing and gnashing of teeth. But, it was completely understandable because he "couldn't get comfortable in his seat" and his "bottom hurt from sitting on it" and he "was itchy." Itchy?! (And, that was just Shawn. ba-dum-cha!)

I'm not sure why we chose to drive so far when all the kids require for a five-star vacation rating is a swimming pool. I kid. There was a water slide, too - woot! And, a movie on the lawn one night. And, s'mores. There was a lazy river, too. But, in October, the unheated river is roughly the temperature of ice water. It still had a "beach" beside it, though. And, the kids endeavored to see if they could get every inch of their bodies covered with sand. Truly, a generational gap in what we all consider "fun".

(I tried to use the "Vibrance" effect from Picnik on these pics and it just made the kids look sunburned. Don't judge our sunscreening ability... this is an unfair representation!)

The kids had so much fun at the hotel property that they were actually annoyed that we forced them to see the Alamo and the Riverwalk one day. But, we made the poor, long-suffering darlings deal with it. And, they got ice cream in the end, so it turned out to be a successful venture.

While we were on the property, Shawn guilted me into the pool more times than I cared for (read that as "ever"). What's the age when the pool goes from the-ultimate-in-fun to make-you-cold, and try not to get-your-hair-wet-so-you-don't-have-to-wash-it-again or let-your-eye-makeup-run-down-your-cheeks? But, somehow Shawn thought letting-kids-climb-on-your-head and keep-Elizabeth-from-drowning-because-of-her-own-fearlessness-and-over-inflated-sense-of-swimming-ablity was a two person job. And, there may have been something about "family time". (He clearly didn't appreciate my outgoing cheering and participation from the lounge chair!) But, hello? I have stitches! (Stitches that can get wet. But, that's not the point. Stitches! I feel like I should get some sympathy mileage out of all six of them.)

But, seriously, we had a great time. The kids are finally at the age that  they are more fun than work. There used to be a time when it was the same ol' childcare, just a different location. Now, the four of us actually make happy memories - together.

I do have a suggestion for you, though, San Antonio. Work on the humidity. I think your tourism would really improve if one didn't have to drink the air and your atmosphere weren't so catastrophic to the average hair-do.

6 comments:

cmjj said...

San Antonio is one of my most favorite places EVER!! I am jealous that you got to be there and probably eat lots of good Mexican food. *sniff*

Ali said...

i'm just going to keep it to myself that i can eat lots of good mexican food without traveling to san antonio, too. i'm not going to say that because i'm not even sure you can buy hot sauce up where you live. and that makes me sad for you.

Anonymous said...

Now that y'all have those trees gone you should build a pool in your backyard for those long-suffering children!!! Bethy and Erik built one this year and they LOVE it. Do you want me to call Shawn about it? I am sure we can push this thing through:)

:) LE

Ali said...

len, you will be my first ally as soon as i need help convincing shawn of something - but a pool is NOT it. i'm the bad guy on that one. i do NOT want to add one more "thing" that needs attention to our house! :)

Anonymous said...

I'll lobby for a pool boy too;)
...I'm here to help:)

Ali said...

wait. i may have just changed my stance. ;)

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails