Monday, January 11, 2010

Tortilla Soup

I am culinarily challenged.  I'm not kidding.  I refuse to watch The Food Network because it makes me feel inadequate.  When we have people over, I always call it a "Pizza Party" because the idea of cooking dinner for a group of people (and praying it turns out palatable) is completely distressing to me.

So, if I can make this, you can, too.  It was so easy and so good.  I found a similar recipe on allrecipes, but had to tweak for the ingredients I could find in my grocery store (a horrifying proposal for me, by the way).  But, it actually worked out.  Who knew I had it in me?

Tortilla Soup
Ingredients:
• 32 oz. box of Swanson’s Chicken Broth
• 2 (10 ounce) cans RO*TEL Mild diced tomatoes and green chilies
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (yes, this is the cumin of the "Grocery Shopping Thoughts", if you were wondering)
• 2 cups cooked chicken, diced (and, this is the chicken)
• 1 1/2 cups crushed baked tortilla chips or corn tortillas cut in strips
• Cilantro
• 1/4 cup Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• Avocado (optional)

Directions:
Combine RO*TEL, broth, onion, garlic and cumin in large pot; simmer 10 minutes. Add chicken; simmer 3 to 5 minutes. Continue simmering until onions are translucent and soft (30 minutes to an hour). Serve individual servings with tortilla chips or strips, cilantro and cheese, and avocado if desired.

Bon Appétit!  (because tomorrow, it's pizza.)

4 comments:

cmjj said...

I am totally going to have to try this!

Ali said...

you should!

Unknown said...

We loved your pulled pork! Neil, Dawn and Lauren came down for Labor Day and Neil fixed your recipe for us. Phil and I loved it and it is a favorite of Neil and Dawn's also. Lauren thinks this is one of the best recipes ever!!!!!!!!!

Ali said...

that's so sweet! so glad you all like it!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails